US Streaming Services Surge as Linear TV Viewership Falls Below 50% For The First Time

Recent study reveal the surge of streamings services in the US

Cable and Satellite channels, which played a significant part in entertainment services, are now facing the heat due to the continuous growth of streaming services. 

It is found that audiences in the US are increasingly turning to Subscription Video On Demand (SVOD) and streaming services as their primary source of entertainment.

Based on the analysis by Gauge, the US witnessed a surge in Streaming services usage in July:

  • For the first time, linear TV’s viewership fell below 50%. Broadcast and cable TV hit their lowest, capturing 20.0% and 29.6% of the TV market, respectively. Combined, they accounted for 49.6% of total TV consumption.
  • In July, the time spent by audiences streaming on their televisions grew by 2.9% compared to June. This increase allowed streaming to equal its previous record share of 38.7%, a record set just the last month.
  • Over a year, streaming viewership grew impressively by 25.3%, adding 7.3 points to its share.
  • Leading streaming services, such as YouTube, Netflix, and Prime Video, once dominated the market but now share the space with emerging platforms launched by established networks.
  • Specific platform performance in July included:
  • YouTube, excluding its TV service, saw a 5.6% rise in viewership from June, accounting for 9.2% of total TV consumption.
  • Netflix experienced a 4.2% growth in viewership, making up 8.5% of total TV viewing.
  • Amazon Prime Video’s viewership grew by 5% compared to June, representing 3.4% of the total TV usage for July.

With platforms like Disney+ considering selling their linear channels by recognising the increase in streaming-related services, these studies provide more insights into audience behaviour towards content consumption.

Ragul Thangavel
Ragul Thangavel
Staff Writer

With over nine years of diverse professional experience, Ragul has made significant contributions across various domains, including Media Operations, OTT Technologies, Video Production, Ecommerce, and Social Media.

Holding an Engineering degree, Ragul's career took an unconventional turn when he discovered his passion for writing, leading him to begin his journey as a content writer.

His career has been exclusively dedicated to the growth and development of startups, where he has played a pivotal role. His unique blend of technical knowledge and creative prowess has enabled him to drive innovation and success in every venture he has been a part of.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enjoying this article? Subscribe to OTTVerse and receive exclusive news and information from the OTT Industry.