MPEG-DASH is one of the most popular video-streaming protocols and is widely used to deliver media either via Video on Demand (VOD) or Live Streaming and to various end-user devices, including smartphones, tablets, SmartTVs, gaming consoles, and more.
In this tutorial, we learn about the basics of MPEG-DASH, the structure of a MPEG-DASH MPD, and how to package MPEG-DASH using various toolkits such as GPAC, Bento4, Shaka Packager.
- What is MPEG-DASH – a deep dive into the basics.
- Structure of a MPEG-DASH MPD file – a deep dive
- How to package using Bento4 mp4dash
- How to package using GPAC mp4box
- How to package using Shaka packager
- HLS vs. MPEG-DASH – HTTP Video Streaming Protocols Compared
- List of free MPEG-DASH MPDs for testing
- List of MPEG-DASH MPD players available online